Monday, September 5, 2011

August Demonstration--Wet-in-Wet Coneflowers

I was delighted when I received a comment from Cora, after my post, Coneflowers--Wet-in-Wet and the Colors of White.  In her comment she told me she had practiced painting white coneflowers using the August demonstration example and posted them on her blog.
Below you see the example that she liked best, her first try.   I think it is my favorite too, because of that nice variation in the center where she dropped color into color, and the lovely whites that resulted.    
Seeing her blog post excited me for several reasons. First of all, she tried my practice example and shared it, and that was fun.  Secondly, when I read her profile description, I discovered that she is a newly practicing artist in the Netherlands, and she intends to post her efforts no matter what the results. Wow, I thought.  That takes courage--the courage to create your own stage and build a community for practicing art.  I know from my own experience, that every effort will not only strengthen her skills, but each time she posts her work, her art practice will benefit in boldness.  One of the many pleasures of blogging today is that we have a ready-made community of individuals who are also learning, practicing, enjoying creating art and sharing it.  It's a great opportunity for both motivating and encouraging our art practice.  .  

Because I haven't had an art class vacation in the past two years--that is, leaving town for a week and doing little else but painting watercolor--seeing Cora's practice examples also reminded me of one of the fun moments in art class that I've missed lately, the sharing time when everyone shows their efforts after a work session.  These were moments of enjoyment and satisfaction for me.  I always marveled at how beautiful everyone's work was, the uniqueness of each person's style, and easily found something to admire in each person's efforts.     
A coneflower sketch I created in 2000.    

This reminds me to say to you what I often have to say to myself.  When you are looking at your finished work and don't find yourself totally loving it, focus in on an area of the painting that attracts you, that you particularly like and notice why it appeals to you.  Then find the area that doesn't appeal to you and decide what you don't like about it.  Think about what you would like to see happening differently there. Remember that the special value in those 'dislike' areas is the learning that took place while you were creating it.
And all this information will be available to you the next time you paint!

August demonstration:  Wet-in-Wet and the Colors of White
Another post on the value of practice, Practice is the Magic of Talent.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for sharing your work, and for telling how you did it! I feel like I'm cheating by watching you for free. ;) I want to try your coneflowers when I get a moment to myself. Maybe I'll get brave enough to show you. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Am. Swede. It is always a pleasure to know I have contributed to someone's inspiration. I hope you will give it a try and share your results.

    ReplyDelete

Ocean Trail at Rancho Palos Verdes Preserve, California--2015

Ocean Trail at Rancho Palos Verdes Preserve, California--2015

Joshua Tree National Forest, California, with son Chad and daughter Thuan--2015

Joshua Tree National Forest, California, with son Chad and daughter Thuan--2015
Photo credit: Thuan Tram

Bird banding with Mark Armstrong at Seven Islands State Birding Park - 2014

Bird banding with Mark Armstrong at Seven Islands State Birding Park - 2014
Photo courtesy of Jody Stone

Birds Close-up

Birds Close-up
Photo courtesy of Karen Wilkenson

Enjoying Gray Jays in Churchill, Manitoba

Enjoying Gray Jays in Churchill, Manitoba
Photo courtesy of Blue Sky Expeditions

A dog sled experience with Blue Sky Expeditions, Churchill, MB--2014

A dog sled experience with Blue Sky Expeditions, Churchill, MB--2014
Photo courtesy of Blue Sky Expeditions

Churchill, Manitoba--2014

Churchill, Manitoba--2014
Photo courtesy of Blue Sky

2014 Hummingbird Festival

2014 Hummingbird Festival
Photo courtesy of Jody Stone

Smithsonian National Zoo with one of my Whooping Crane art banners and son, John--2014

Smithsonian National Zoo with one of my Whooping Crane art banners and son, John--2014

Muir Woods on the Dipsea Trail at Stinson Beach, California--2014

Muir Woods on the Dipsea Trail at Stinson Beach, California--2014
Photo courtesy of Wendy Pitts Reeves

Checking out the gulls at Stinson Beach--2014

Checking out the gulls at Stinson Beach--2014
Photo courtesy of Wendy Pitts Reeves

Discovery Hike in Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska--2012

Discovery Hike in Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska--2012
Photo courtesy of Ruth Carter
Related Posts with Thumbnails